How to prevent your Instagram account being hacked
Hacking Instagram accounts is becoming more and more popular, because the hackers see the potential to earn extra cost from big influential accounts. For the first time since Instagram was launched there’s finally a way to help preventing it.
As many of you may know, two years ago my Instagram account was hacked and it was quite stressful and painful to get it back, if you don’t want to get to that stage when you need to bag Instagram to employees to help you get it back or pay the hacker, you should follow the instructions below:
- On your bio- Do not post the email address that you are using to log in to your Instagram account. It’s great to have address their, but if it’s the same one you are basically giving the hackers the info on how to reset your password.
- Use Instagram new feature and turn on 2-factor authentication – (Instructions below). Make sure to take screenshot of your unique backup codes.
- Do not enter your login details to Instagram through any dodgy websites even if some of them declare it’s secure/if it looks like Instagram login page (always check the URL on the top of the page).
- Take screenshot of your account and save make sure to save the original images that appears on that screen shot – just in case you will need to prove your the owner of the account.
Two-factor authentication adds an extra layer of security to help protect your account. When enabled, you’ll be asked to provide your password and a unique security code that will be automatically sent via text message to the phone number on your account each time you log in.
In order to activate 2-factor authentication, you must have a confirmed phone number associated with your Instagram account.
- From your Instagram profile page, click the gear icon to go to “Options” menu. Tap “Two-Factor Authentication”.
- Toggle “Require Security Code” to the ‘on’ position. Click “Turn On”.
- Add a phone number if there isn’t already one on the account.
- Enter the confirmation code sent via SMS and click “Done”.
- Two-factor authentication is enabled.
- Get backup codes and save those somewhere in case you lose your phone.
After doing it, whenever you log in to your account, you will get into another log in page and there you’ll have a provide your unique code that was sent to you by text message.
If you lost your phone and it wasn’t locked you better go immediately to Instagram reset password page and try resting it before the person that stole it from you get a hold on it, you will be able to use your backup codes then.
Hope you will find it useful to keep your Instagram account safe, if you like it, share it!